IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF NORTH CAROLINA 20-SO-4
RESTRICTIONS ON VISITORS TO COURTHOUSES
MAR 12 2020
The United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina is closely monitoring the outbreak of the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19 as well as the guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) . The CDC having advised people to take precautions, and having noted that the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus, it is hereby
ORDERED by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina that the following persons shall not enter any U.S. Courthouse or U.S. Probation Office in the Eastern District of North Carolina without prior permission from the Chief Judge:
- Persons who have been in any of the following countries or regions within the last 14 days:
STATE OF WASHINGTON NEW ROCHELLE , NEW YORK CHINA
SOUTH KOREA JAPAN
ITALY IRAN EGYPT
And any other country or region that is the subject of a Level 3 Travel Health Notice issued by the CDC.
- Persons who reside or have had close contact with someone who has been in one of the countries or regions listed above within the last 14 days;
- Persons who have been asked to self-quarantine by any doctor, hospital, or health agency;
- Persons who have been diagnosed with, or have had contact with, anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19; and
- Persons with fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
It is further ORDERED that the United States Marshal, his Deputies, and the Court Security Officers shall deny entry to anyone attempting to enter in violation of this Order.
It is further ORDERED that if you are scheduled or required to appear at a U.S. Courthouse or
U.S. Probation Office in the Eastern District of North Carolina and you are unable to appear because of the restrictions in this Order, you are directed to proceed as follows:
- If you are represented by an attorney, please contact your attorney;
- If you are an attorney and you are scheduled to appear in court before a judge, please contact the judge’s case manager;
- If you are scheduled to meet with a U.S. Probation officer, please contact that officer directly;
- If you are a juror, call Jury Services at (800) 342-2539 and leave a detailed message;
- For Bankruptcy Court matters, please contact the Clerk’s Office at (919) 856-4752;
- For Section 341 Meetings of Creditors, please contact the Bankruptcy Administrator’s Office at (919) 334-3885; and
- For District Court matters, please contact the Clerk’s Office at (919) 645-1700.
It is further ORDERED that these restrictions will remain in place temporarily until it is determined to be safe to remove them. This Order shall be updated as further guidance is received.
SO ORDERED. This the a day of March, 2020.